Nikki Works With a Professional Organizer: Where to Look for an Organizer
For months Nikki’s neatnik friend, Amanda, has been offering to get her organized. But Nikki has decided she needs some professional help with her clutter. She’s ready to make changes in her lifestyle and get rid of some of the stuff that has been holding her back.
Now she has to find a PO to assist her. Asking friends who have worked with a PO is the best way to find a PO. However, since she doesn’t know anyone who has hired a PO, her best bet for finding the right person is to go to the internet. Directories of PO’s are maintained by several industry groups:
- The Professional Organizers of New Mexico (PONM) website has information on local organizers and their specialties. PONM members have even written three e-books full of tips that can be downloaded for free.
- The Institute for Challenging Disorganization (ICD) directory can help Nikki find a Professional Organizer that has invested in continuing education about the causes and solutions for chronic disorganization. ICD members can advance through five levels of certification by participating in an exacting course of study. Listings on this site include the certifications earned. Professional Organizers at levels three through five are required to pursue continuing education. These programs provide an in-depth education on the issues of chronic disorganization as well as how to work with clients with various special circumstances. This certification is highly respected as an indicator of expertise in the organizing profession.
- Professional Organizers who have been credentialed as a Certified Professional Organizer® (CPO®) are shown on the Board of Certification for Professional Organizers website. These professionals have met experience requirements and passed a rigorous examination to earn this prestigious designation. Continuing education is required to maintain CPO® status.
- The National Association of Productivity and Organizing Professionals (NAPO) website lists members who are Professional Organizers.
- Faithful Organizers® maintains a list of Christian Professional Organizers.
I belong to all the organizations listed above. I have earned my Level III distinction as a Certified Professional Organizer in Chronic Disorganization® (CPO-CD®) and the CPO® designation. Holding both certifications makes me the only dual certified PO in the state of NM.
With these resources at her disposal, Nikki will spend some time learning about Professional Organizing and local PO’s before she decides which one will best meet her needs.
Copyright© 2020 Elizabeth Tawney Gross, Organizing For Everyday, LLC